Thursday, April 3, 2008

Floydada


So I was googling Floydada, Texas yesterday for the play I'm writing (which will have it's 'debut' at Dixon Place on the 28th of this month) and got this link to the Floyd County Museum. You'll notice there's a contact link on the site, so I thought, "What the hey: I'll drop them a line and see if I can get some help with my research." I'm not going to bother anyone with every little question that occurs to me, but its great to have this resource for information on the town and it's history that I can't readily find in the New York libraries or online. And, of course, the folks there have already gone out of their way to help me: Frank Potts responded to my query within a few hours (and after hours, I might add) to send me a series of photos taken by a panoramic camera of the town square in 1926 (the above photo is one of them, which I got from their website).

I have a lot of work to do in the next 25 days: I still have a few scenes to write that I think must be in the play, and rehearsals to work out, of course, but I'm anxious to hear how people respond to the play. I'm meeting tonight with Kriota Willberg, who's going to be choreographing the dances I wrote in for Catherine; just based on her off-the-cuff ideas she e-mailed me, I can already tell she really gets it (as I knew she would). And I've gotten lots of e-mails from Richard Galgano, a director here in NYC who also has an amazing wealth of knowledge about music history, with music to consider for the piece! More on this as it develops....

No comments: