Friday, January 16, 2009

The Return of Interesting Headlines I Can't Really Read

I took a little time today to once again scan the international newspapers for the intriguing, the odd and the just plain silly stories that caught my eye.

Liberation.fr: Un Airbus amerrit sur l'Hudson après avoir décollé de New York
This is, understandably, the story covered by every paper around the world. How many times does this kind of story have anything even remotely like a happy ending? (Photo: Janis Krums)

morgenpost.de: Notlandung in New York: Mit Böllern gegen die tödliche Vogelschwarm-Gefahr
I include this version of the story because the first word, which means "emergency landing," seems to me the kind of word I'd make up if I wanted a fake German word for "not landing."

elpais.com: Tres libros y una exposición evocan la muerte de Dalí
I know you were asking yourself: how can I celebrate the 20th anniversary of Salvador Dalí's death next Friday? It just doesn't seem fitting to attend one of those corporate-sponsored events at my local pub ("The only thing more persistent than memory is a Bud Light..."). Well if you're in the Catalan city of Figueres between now and March 18, you can see The Persistence of Memory (on loan from MoMA) at the Teatro Museo Dalí. Or you can read one of the three books mentioned in this article... if you can read Spanish.

elmundo.es: Radiografía de la presidencia Bush
I have no idea what most of it says: if I can't really read the headline, what makes you think I can read any of the rest of it? But it's a Spanish artist's take on the reign of our Soon-to-be-Ex-President—I'm guessing it probably won't be translated and reproduced on Faux News.

lemonde.fr: Une sculpture géante pour épingler les clichés européens
I first read this story on the BBC yesterday. The sculpture, Entropa, was commissioned by the Czech Republic to be installed in the atrium of the Justus Lipsius of the EU Council in Brussels for the duration of the Czech EU Presidency. The piece is a map of Europe as a plastic injection mold model kit. It was purported to be the work of 27 artists from different member states under the leadership of Czech sculptor, David Černý; in reality, Černý did the work himself with the help of two associates. Some highlights in the sculpture: Bulgaria is depicted as a squat toilet, France as an "On Strike" banner, Romania as a vampire dark ride and the U.K. is removed from the mold altogether (subtle). The Czech government has apologized to Bulgaria... but they haven't taken it down.

No comments: