Friday, November 20, 2009

Interesting Headlines I Can't Really Read

liberation.fr: Agnès Varda sur la route des Oscars
I include this not because it's funny but because Catherine and I really loved this film, Les Plages d'Agnés (The Beaches of Agnés). It was the first of her films we'd seen although, completely coincidentally, we'd just seen The Umbrellas of Cherbourg a few weeks earlier (it was directed by her late husband, Jacques Demy). The Beaches of Agnés deserves to be in the running for an Academy Award: it's a beautifully shot, simply told and compelling film autobiography—I don't think it's out on DVD yet but I plan to get a copy when it is. That said, I should 'fess up that we've actually had another of her films, La Pointe Courte, sitting next to our DVD player from Netflix since August 17... I'm sure we'll get around to watching it... eventually...

lemonde.fr: Sexe et mort au "Vieux Carré"
Again, I don't have a joke here because this is something I'd very much like to see: The Wooster Group's take on Tennessee Williams' most autobiographical play. Yet another reason I wish that I was in Paris (like I need any more reasons!). There's no indication on their websites as to when it will be in NYC but I expect that Catherine and I will be there if we can.

elmundo.es: Oprah Winfrey: 'Dejo el programa porque ya me siento satisfecha'.
As long as Oprah feels satisfied, I'm satisfied. Otis Redding, on the other hand, still can't get no.

Wooster Group photo by Edward Mac Keaney

No comments: