Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Magnificent Obssessives

I've never understood the people who paint their faces/bodies at sporting events, or wait in line for days to see the latest installment of [insert title of mega-blockbuster sequel here] in costume, or leave gifts and flowers outside the homes of dead celebrities, or... basically, anyone who obsesses over what most of us would consider somewhat to perhaps even extremely interesting. I think the BBC article did a good job of withholding judgment on these folks but I just don't get it. I mean, certainly there are obsessive personalities, which the two men in this article seem likely to possess. And I know I'm more than a tad judgmental, but there are times when I seriously worry about the mental health of the greater population.

It all makes me think that the line from Arsenic and Old Lace may be appropriate for our society as a whole:  "Insanity doesn't run in my family: it gallops!"

No comments: